Haynes Library is a quaint and charming public library overlooking the harbour and cupids cay. The Library is also a historical landmark, Originally built in 1897 the library was saved from being wrecked and then refurbished in the 90’s. This is a great place to spend some time, relax and read a book. With all of the doors open the sea breeze just blows straight through the building.
The library provides a great collection of books; along with computers, software, printers and high speed wifi. You can also get information on what to do in Eleuthera, maps and directions from the librarian. Even as a visitor you can borrow books, which is great for a rainy day when you’re stuck indoors.
5 reasons you should visit Haynes Library:
- Information: It’s the place to go to get a brief or detailed info of the island and it’s history, including historical sites and places of interest.
- Connectivity: For people who just can’t disconnect and may not have wifi where they are staying, you can go here and get out some emails or check & update your social media accounts.
- Community: The library endorses a few programs and deals with charitable work especially dealing with children’s programs. You can meet the locals here and make a new friend.
- Relaxation: With the windows and doors open and a sweet sea breeze blowing through its hard not to relax. Grab a book and chill on the balcony.
- Resource Center: You can go in and use the computers for research or to print information.
Haynes Library offers a sense of nostalgia for me, I remember coming here as a child on rainy days with my grandmother and being forced to read … good times. Now I’m an avid reader and welcome the sighting of a library.
Take a peek inside the Library: